Saturday, June 12, 2021

A second Elephant from Addo National Park


I received some feedback regarding my earlier work on the Elephant subject, mainly about including the rest of the Elephant. The image below is the result of a new A3 work that addresses those comments.

My personal view on this is that the inclusion of the legs changes the overall symmetry of the composition to its detriment, I prefer the earlier approach, and it just feels more intimate and pleasing.

I used a set of Lyra Rembrandt graphite pencils for this one. I used a photograph I took in the Addo NP several years ago as my reference. I see that there are numerous comments on the internet about artwork that fails to give proper attribution and confirm permission from the original photographer. I am fortunate to have a lifelong obsession with taking photographs, consequently I have a large collection of my own images to work from.
Addo Elephant No2

No comments:

Post a Comment